As many of you know, my time in Boston is coming to its close. It's a little weird because I am feeling all nostalgic about it...but I am still here. I am not very good at that living-in-the-moment stuff. Mentally I am already gone. I think. So with an air of illogical nostalgia, I thought this would be a good time to mention some of the things I will and will not miss about Boston.
I will not miss the mystery woman who works on our floor that smokes in the bathroom every time the weather is crappy. Having to use a smoky-smelling bathroom. That will make a dark, snowy day less depressing.
I will miss the T. Does it stand for transit, transportation, train? Why don't we just call it the subway or the metro like normal people? Nobody can really say. But it has been so nice to be able to hop on a train and get from my house to significant U. S. landmarks and be able to watch all the different people hop on and off. Sometimes you'd see someone that you'd never met, but for some reason your heart just went out to them, and you really loved that person as you watched them and could tell that their brain was running a million miles a minute, sorting through their whole life on the train ride home.
I will not miss the policemen who do nothing to moderate the dangerous intersections where people are making illegal turns and nearly hitting the blind people crossing the street, but do insist on gathering in teams of three to five every time National Grid is tearing up the street to work on...something. A few bright traffic cones is not enough to protect National Grid's roadwork. The policemen will stand behind those traffic cones and watch the cars go by as if something helpful is being accomplished. It is not.
I will miss the Indian food. I know I complained that there wasn't enough good Mexican food here, which I still maintain, but some good spicy Indian food has sure helped to fill that void.
I will not miss crappy dryers that shrink your favorite shirts every single time.
I will miss Harvard Square. There is the guy that has the giant Wizard of Oz-esque booth with a giant face (the booth has the face, yes) that he stands behind and puppets with a microphone. During the day he sings nice children's songs and after 11pm he sings marijuana songs (which are limited in number).
I will not miss the honking. Oh, the honking. Everywhere. All the time. And it comes along with full-sized buses cutting you off on the freeway exit, etc. Oh, you almost killed me, and you'd still like to give me an angry honk? I guess that means you belong in Boston.
I will miss the AMAZING people I have met here. I can't even handle that I've had the chance to be around such outstanding individuals. My coworkers and my ward have been incredible, the kind of people you can never forget. Great, genuine people that have always been nice to me and made me smile. I most definitely wish I could hand-select a few of them and bring them back with me.
I will not miss having to miss Baylee growing up, along with everything else that's been happening back there. I will be in mourning when I get there, because I do feel like this is the kind of loss that calls for a good mourning period, but I am sure that the gain is going to trump that and I won't be able to refer to this as a "loss" for very long. I can't wait to be around you all again.
No comments:
Post a Comment