November 28, 2008

Return from Galilee


Let's just acknowledge, I've been a pretty crappy blogger as of late. Sorry everyone. I just keep thinking I only have 3 weeks left, so I'll just tell you when I get home. But I should really continue writing.


We just spent 10 days in Galilee, which very well could have been the best 10 days of my life :) It was fantastic. I guess what I've most been struck with recently is that I get to be a part of the Church's presence here, which is so important that we're here, even if we can't talk about it. On the way home today we stopped by the grave of the first missionaries called to the Holy Land. They were originally sent to Germany and then moved to Israel where they died. Sounds like a crummy story, right? Well, the cool thing is that when the state of Israel was declared in 1948, they said there could be no new religions introduced into the state, only religions that had previously been present. Because of this grave marker, which says that he died in missionary service, the Church was able to prove they had been present previously, so the state of Israel recognizes them as an official religion.


I know I was charged only a fraction of what this semester is actually costing; the Church is subsidizing our program so that we can maintain a presence here, and I think it's going well. I can't wait for the day when these people will invite the full time missionaries to come preach to them. I hope that day comes sooner than later.

No comments: